What to accompany lentils with?
One of the most interesting meals from a nutritional point of view are lentils. These legumes provide a lot of benefits to the body, so their consumption is recommended in all types of diets and in balanced eating plans. It is a great source of iron, helping to fight anemia and regulate cholesterol, among many other benefits. To enjoy this nutritious food, it is important to know how to cook it and accompany it. Although a dish of lentils by itself can conquer any stomach, finding a good accompaniment or more ingredients to mix with these legumes guarantees their complete success.
One of the original recipes with lentils for every family is to present them in the form of medallions or hamburgers, which you can accompany with some sauces and a salad. Follow these instructions to make lentil medallions quickly:
- You must mix rice with cooked lentils to start creating a pasta.
- Add onion, pepper, salt, parsley and chopped garlic and egg to the mixture.
- Use a kitchen appliance to process the mixture and finish turning it into a paste.
- To shape the pasta into medallions, moisten your hands a little and make various wheel shapes.
- Store for half an hour in the refrigerator the medallions created with lentil paste.
- Remove the medallions from the refrigerator and cook them in a frying pan, browning them on both sides.
- Combine the lentil medallions with a yogurt sauce, providing an exquisite flavor.
Lentils with rice
One of the most common accompaniments for lentils is white rice. Lentils with rice are a very simple dish to make and that provides many nutrients and being a hot dish feels very good. Prepare it by following these steps:
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and, when it is boiling, add the lentils.
- When they are almost cooked, you should fry the rice in a frying pan with garlic.
- With the golden rice, add the cooked lentils and chicken broth.
- Keep cooking everything integrated for 20 minutes.
- Fry onion and butter in another frying pan. When the onion is already crispy, place it on top of absorbent paper to remove the excess oil.
- Serve the onion and butter over the fried rice and lentils.
Lentils with chorizo and ham
For the coldest days of the year, preparing lentils with chorizo and ham is especially appetizing. By following these steps you will easily achieve it:
- Fry in a pot with oil a little onion and chopped garlic.
- Add the chorizo and ham to the frying.
- When it acquires a golden tone, add the lentils to the pot.
- Add bay leaf and chicken broth, letting everything cook integrated for 30 minutes.
- Finally, add carrot and zucchini to the pot and let them cook for a few more minutes.
- Check that the lentils are well cooked to season them and serve them hot.
Lentil and shrimp salad
Shrimp are a very good option to make some of the best starters to accompany lentils. Cold shrimp combined with a lentil salad, are a simple and great flavor dish. You can prepare the lentil salad with shrimp in the following way:
- Combine lentils, nuts and kale (you can also put beans, tomatoes, etc.) on the plate.
- As a dressing, add a little olive oil and lemon juice.
- Peel the shrimp, roast them in a frying pan with olive oil and serve them over the lentil salad. Another option is to cook the shrimp or buy them already cooked and frozen, and then place them cold on top of the lentil salad, being one of the best options to prepare summer lentils. This way, you will have a complete and delicious entrance to accompany the lentils.
Another hot dish of lentils to consider is the one made as soup. How can you do it to contain the best flavor? In a HOWTO we help you prepare it by following these steps to make lentil soup:
- Make a sauté of garlic, onion and bacon in a pot with oil.
- When the ingredients are browning, add the lentils. After cooking for several more minutes, add chicken broth and your favorite vegetables.
- The moment it starts to boil again, add some bay leaf and reduce the heat.
- Wait half an hour for the cooking to finish and serve the dish hot.
What do lentils accompany if you want to give an Asian touch to your dish? Curry and lentils combine perfectly in the same meal if cooked properly:
- Chop onion, carrot and garlic and add it to a pot with olive oil.
- After 10 minutes making the sofrito, add peeled and cut potatoes.
- Include the curry and wait for everything to cook together for 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, stirring them with the rest of the ingredients so that it acquires all the flavor.
- Add some bay leaf and vegetable broth.
- Finally, wait for all the ingredients to cook over medium heat for another half hour.
Lentil puree with spices
Making a cream with this food is very simple, but… with what to accompany the lentil puree?Broken eggs are a great solution. Prepare this elaboration following these steps:
- Sauté garlic and onion with oil, adding lentils and different spices to taste.
- Take four tablespoons of the mixture to reserve them next to the parsley.
- Add chicken broth, blending and seasoning when it begins to boil.
- Serve the puree on the plate, placing the previously reserved tablespoons of lentils in the center. You can decorate it with paprika (paprika) and olive oil.
- So that lentil puree is not an unattractive meal, you have the option of incorporating some broken eggs along with diced fried bread.
Another option is to prepare some lentil tacos, a somewhat healthier and different way to eat tacos. Prepare them according to these instructions:
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil for 3 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic along with the rest of the ingredients in a pot: lentils, vegetable broth, tomato sauce, vegetables, bay leaf, thyme and salt.
- Cover the pot and leave it cooking for 20 minutes so that the lentils are well cooked.
- Heat some corn tacos.
- To finish these lentil tacos, add in each taco the lentils, avocado, pico de gallo, fresh cheese and the salsa that you like best.
We recommend accompanying the lentils in tacos filling them with light vegetables, such as some sprouts or sprouts and some pieces of tomato. In addition, you can eat a salad or some other light accompaniment, since this dish, between legume and taco, is very powerful on its own.
Fish fillets with lentils
We continue to show you ideas for elaborations with lentils and we focus on fish. Fish fillets are also a great option if you don’t know what to accompany lentils with at any meal. Opt for a white fish, seasoning and frying each steak, you can also make the battered fillets.
Place the fillets on top of absorbent paper to remove excess oil. To serve them, first place on the plate a bed of pre-cooked lentils and, on top, place the fish fillets.
Cauliflower with lentils
If you want to prepare healthy recipes with lentils, knowing that vegetables and lentils combine perfectly, cauliflower is a healthy and excellent alternative. Prepare some delicious lentils accompanied by cauliflower as follows:
- Season cauliflower in an oven-safe container, adding chicken broth.
- Cover the container with aluminum foil and bake it at 170 ° C for 20 minutes.
- Remove the paper and let it bake for 10 more minutes.
- Heat the lentils with the broth, mixing them with red onion, paprika and tomato or tomato.
- Finally, put on each plate a base with the lentils and, above, the baked cauliflower.
If you want to read more articles similar to What to accompany lentils with, we recommend that you enter our Recipes category.