Is rice good for dogs?
Dogs are optional carnivorous animals by nature and, therefore, it is not usually thought that they like other foods, such as fruits or cereals. It is true that you have to keep in mind that, no matter how much a food your dog likes it does not mean that it is good for him, but there are a lot of foods that people usually eat that you can offer your dog and that, in addition, bring a series of benefits to his body. One of the foods that usually produce more doubts is rice, because it is very common in our daily lives and brings us great benefits, so, maybe dogs too? In this article from info-grinik we answer the question: is rice good for dogs? Without a doubt, it is a food that many people think of giving to their furry, even when he is sick with his belly. So, we tell you if it is really good for dogs and how you can offer this cereal to your dog in the best possible way.
Is rice good for dogs or not?
Can dogs eat rice? The answer is YES, in fact, of all the cereals that you could offer your dog this will always be the best option, due to its properties and benefits that it brings.
Benefits of rice for dogs
By way of summary, we can say that these are the main benefits of rice for dogs:
- Source of carbohydrates, which helps your dog to have more energy.
- Low in fat.
- Easy to digest and low fiber content.
- It does not usually produce allergies, so it is suitable for dogs that usually have intolerances.
- It contains minerals such as magnesium, iron and zinc, essential for vital functions to be performed correctly.
- Its low purine content helps prevent the formation of stones and is also a good choice for dogs with kidney problems due to its low salt content.
All this also makes it especially suitable for dogs that usually have diarrhea or gastrointestinal problems.
How to prepare rice for dogs
We explain how to prepare rice for dogs so you can offer your furry complete and delicious dishes. Take note of these rice recipes for dogs with chicken and vegetables:
Chicken with rice recipe for dogs
- Remove the skin from the chicken, since it is not recommended for us or for dogs to consume the skin of chickens raised industrialized because it accumulates many toxins and other residues. You will also have to remove the accumulations of fat with the help of a knife or scissors.
- It will be a good idea to add some pieces of carrot to the rice and chicken, this is also very beneficial for your dog, so wash it and cut it into small pieces.
- Add water in a saucepan or pot with a little olive oil and place the chicken and carrot pieces inside.
- When the water begins to boil, you can already add the rice and let it boil for a few minutes.
- After about 5-7 minutes since you have added the rice, lower the heat and leave it for about 20 more minutes simmering and stir it from time to time so that it does not stick.
- When you see that everything is cooked enough, turn off the heat and let it cool. The rice should have absorbed all or much of the water.
- Now you will have to put everything in the bowl of your dog, always cutting the chicken into pieces and removing the bone (you can do it before starting it or after).
You can also make this recipe with other meats, such as beef or pork, except if you give it to your dog because it is sick with the belly.
Rice with vegetables recipe for dogs
- First of all, you should know that the most recommended vegetables for dogs are cucumber, zucchini, carrots, peas and green beans. You can add to the rice whatever you want.
- Add water in a saucepan or pot with a little olive oil and also the vegetables you want to add, always chopped so that the dog can’t choke on them.
- After 5 minutes since you have started cooking everything, you can add a few pieces of apple, surely your dog loves the flavor it has and it is also beneficial for his digestive system.
- Let everything boil together for about 15-20 minutes.
- After this time wait for it to cool down and ready, offer it to your dog to take advantage of this food so beneficial to him.
If you wonder if dogs can eat brown rice, the answer is yes, but you’d better offer it spontaneously and in small quantities. The recipes described above should not be the only food on your dog either, they simply serve to complement their usual diet based on varied foods suitable for it and to help their digestive system if they are with diarrhea or vomiting problems.
How to make rice water for dogs with diarrhea
Another excellent option for dogs with diarrhea, especially if it is severe, is rice water. Its preparation is very simple and will help your dog recover the consistency of its stool, as long as it is not some serious pathology. In that case, it may also be good to drink rice water and boiled white rice, but you will not notice as much change as if it were a mild condition, because since it is an aggravated problem yes or yes it will need specific treatment and you may even need intravenous serum or taken to recover earlier. Follow these steps to know how to make rice water for dogs with diarrhea easily:
- Put 4 cups of water to boil in a saucepan. As you are going to use it as a natural remedy against diarrhea under no circumstances should you add salt or oil or any spice, only water.
- When the water is boiling, add half a cup of rice and stir it to prevent it from sticking.
- You will have to leave the rice simmering for about 20 minutes and stir it.
- Finally and after this time, strain the rice and the water that remains in the container will be what you are looking for to give your sick dog. Add the rice water to your dog’s bowl and invite him to drink.
The recipes for rice with chicken and rice with vegetables described above are also a good option against diarrhea in dogs, but if this problem does not stop in about 3 or 4 days it is best to go to the veterinarian to rule out pathologies that may be more serious and that need veterinary treatment.
If you want to read more articles similar to Is rice good for dogs?, we recommend that you enter our Pets category.