How to uncover a drain from the patio
Having a drainage system in the yard serves as a great help to channel the water that falls with intense rains, the water from cleaning or that of the irrigation of the plants. Thus, it allows you to do any activity with water since it will collect and drain it, preventing moisture and unpleasant dirt from accumulating.
However, sometimes, having a drain in the yard is not enough for you to forget about the accumulation of moisture and dirt on the floor. If you want the system to work at all times, you will need to carry out maintenance to prevent it from clogging and not working properly. If the drain has already been obstructed and you want to discover how to uncover a drain of the courtyard, in a info-grinik we recommend that you continue reading this article in which you will see 11 methods to achieve it.
Vinegar and baking soda
How a yard drain can be uncovered is an issue that, while it does not have a single answer, does present different solutions. One of them is the use of baking soda and vinegar. For these products to be effective, follow these steps:
- With the help of a measuring container, add half of white vinegar and the other half, or a little less but at least a third of the total volume, of baking soda.
- This mixture will generate an immediate bubble, so you will have to pour it quickly into the drain.
- With the effervescence created, it will facilitate the removal of dry leaves, soil, hairs and other traces of dirt in the pipes.
- Let the mixture act all night or, at least, let about 6 hours pass.
- The next morning, pour a large amount of warm water to drag all the remains that were jamming the drain.
Vinegar, baking soda and unblocker
The same mixture of baking soda and vinegar along with factors such as gravity and pressure help unblock the most stuck pipes by following these steps:
- Mix baking soda and vinegar, as we explained in the previous point, to pour through the obstructed pipe.
- Remove the grid if there is one, pour the mixture and place the cap in the pipe or something that serves to plug it.
- An hour later, fill a large basin or bucket or several with warm or hot water, remove the cap and pour it.
- The water will just move the objects and dirt that obstructed the pipe and that had already softened with the mixture of vinegar and baking soda.
- To facilitate the task, or if you see that the traffic jam is serious, use a unblocker while another person is pouring the water falls down the pipe. Thus, you have to alternate pouring water and using the unblocker until you see that the drain works well again and, therefore, there is no longer a jam.
Folded wire hanger
Strange as you may find it, a bent wire hanger can be enough to solve the problem when you don’t know how to clean the drain pipe with products or home remedies. With these simple steps you can uncover the drain manually:
- Straighten the hanger as much as possible to get a long wire.
- From the tips of the hanger, fold one to make it a hook.
- Put the hanger through the pipe and try to remove all the dirt accumulated with the manufactured hook.
- Go slowly doing it, making sure to remove and pull the wire, and try not to push the remains deeper with the hook.
- Once you have removed most of the dirt detected or removed the stuck object, pour a basin or bucket of hot water to completely clear the pipe.
Cast boiling water through the drainage
If you still wonder how to make a unblocker for a patio sink, but you would like not to complicate yourself much, you will like to know that one of the easiest methods to uncover the drainage of the patio is with boiling water.
- Bring large pots of water to a boil.
- With the pots themselves, or filling holes or large buckets with very hot water, pour the water through the drainage little by little.
- Pour a good amount slowly and let it take effect for a few seconds or a minute.
- Repeat the action several times and you will see that each time the drain swallows the water better, instead of it getting stuck and overflowing.
It is the easiest way to unblock a downspout or pipe, but if this is not enough because the traffic jam is large or there is an object that persists, then you will have to resort to other methods.
Vacuum cleaner for dry and wet vacuuming
A vacuum cleaner for dry and wet vacuuming will be very useful when you have to uncover a very plugged drainage pipe. It is very important that you do not use a normal vacuum cleaner that is only suitable for dust, that is, for dry vacuuming, because when vacuuming in the pipe there is surely water or other wet substances and they will damage it. In a info-grinik we recommend that you follow these steps to achieve it:
- Regulate the vacuum cleaner in the function to vacuum liquids.
- Tighten and seal the drain, with the vacuum activated at its maximum level.
- In this way, you can end the obstruction of the pipe and that the dirt is stored in the machine bag.
- To make sure that the drain has already been unblocked, you can pour water and see if it goes down well or still gets waterlogged.
Keep in mind that it is not an infallible method if there is a large or very stuck object, but it is one more alternative that can help you to unsavage the drainage of the courtyard.
Do a thorough pipe cleaning
If you still don’t know very well how to uncover a drain from the courtyard and, above all, if it drains at street level, in this case it may be a good option to thoroughly clean the pipes manually. You will have to follow these steps to thoroughly clean the pipes of the yard drainage:
- Put a bucket at the bottom of the pipe that will allow you to collect the water and dirt that come out.
- Loosen each of the nuts at the ends of the pipe with the help of a wrench or other similar tool that helps you loosen them.
- Finish the task manually by removing the nuts and place the parts of the pipe face down so that they are emptied.
- To remove dirt, use a brush.
- Rinse the parts of the pipe with water and put them back in position.
Tape to uncover the pipes
There are long plastic tapes, about 6 mm wide and spiral-shaped at one end, that serve to uncover the pipes. Follow these steps to achieve this with this method, which is very similar to that of the wire hanger.
- Wear gloves and start by unrolling the tape.
- Insert the tape down the drain until you find the obstruction.
- Move the tape from back to front so that the tip moves the obstruction.
- Pick up the tape by winding it again.
- Repeat the process if you detect that the pipe is still somewhat obstructed.
- To finish, clean the tape and let it air dry.
Caustic soda is an effective product to unclog the drainage of the yard, but it requires adequate protection to avoid damage to health. Follow these instructions if you wonder how to use caustic soda to unblock a drain from the courtyard:
- Protect your eyes and hands, since caustic soda can cause burns if it is not handled well.
- You must pour cold water (about 3 liters) into a bucket and add three cups of the product.
- Stir the caustic soda with the water with the help of a plastic stick or spoon.
- When the mixture begins to bubble and increase in temperature, throw it through the obstructed pipe of the patio.
- Wait for it to act for 30 minutes before pouring a lot of hot water to help everything go out and unblock the drain completely.
The detergent that you usually use to wash dishes, can also be served if you want to unblock the drainage of the patio. Use dishwasher detergent this way to unclog a downspout:
- Pour a quarter of a large cup of detergent into a large container.
- Add hot water and stir a little.
- Pour the mixture through the drain and use a unblocker.
- The soap will work as a lubricant and degreaser, helping to break the obstruction present in the pipe.
Sodium and salt bicarbonate
The mixture of baking soda and salt will help you unscutter the drain by following these steps:
- Mix half a cup of salt and half of baking soda. If the drainage is large or the obstruction is very severe and there is a lot of water water water watered, then use more of this mixture, but always in this proportion.
- Pour the mixture through the covered drain.
- Wait for him to act for 20 minutes.
- Pour hot water so that, along with the mixture, a chemical reaction is generated with which the obstruction will be dissolved.
Use a piece of steel with hook
The last method that in a info-grinik we recommend to uncover the drainage of a patio is the use of a piece of steel. In a way very similar to the bent wire hanger or plastic tape, a long piece of steel with a hook at the end will help you unblock the pipes from obstructions by the accumulation of waste.
- Insert the piece through the stuck pipe.
- Turn it to detect the obstruction and that it gradually breaks until it is completely removed.
- You can take out debris little by little to undo the traffic jam well, without pushing the dirt further down, which would only move the obstruction but would not remove it.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to Uncover a Patio Drain, we recommend that you enter our Maintenance and Home Safety category.