How to remove the smell of moisture from towels
The continued use of towels to dry after each shower, hand or face washing and in many other situations at home, ends up resulting in excess moisture, causing a bad smell in the fabric. To make towels durable, it is advisable to take care of them and treat them in the best possible way.
In this sense, it is essential to know why towels smell bad and find the best solutions in this regard. Without knowing the basis of the problem, it is impossible to act effectively and if you continue washing them as before the unpleasant aroma caused by humidity will continue to occur. To find out how to remove the smell of moisture from towels with different products, in a info-grinik we recommend that you continue reading this article.
Why do towels smell bad?
The smell of mold in the towels is due to the great capacity they have to trap moisture. Many bath towels are made of cotton, this being a fabric that manages to absorb it in quantity. Therefore, they can cause a bad smell of moisture and mold, since they are very effective in drying after showering, having as a counterpart the inconvenience of the aroma if after use you do not dry them well. Other reasons for the bad smell in towels are the following:
- Constant exposure to the humid environment of the bathroom and to water when we dry.
- Incorrect drying of towels. It should be done after each use, laying them in the sun or spreading them on an electric towel rail or radiator.
- Hang the towels on the back of the bathroom door, because humidity is concentrated due to the scarce air that runs between this part of the door and the wall.
How to remove the smell of moisture from towels with baking soda
Baking soda is one of the most used home cleaning resources for its great efficiency. It also serves to eliminate the smell of moisture from towels because it manages to eliminate bacteria and fungi or molds caused by excess moisture. Learn how to use baking soda to wash towels by following these steps:
- Add a cup of baking soda in a bowl full of warm water.
- Stir the mixture so that the baking soda begins to dissolve.
- Dip the towel in the water with baking soda and leave it to soak for 20 minutes.
- After this time, you must rinse the towel with clean water.
- Dry the towel outdoors taking advantage of the hours of sunshine.
- In case the towel contains stains that are difficult to remove, apply the baking soda directly by rubbing the affected areas before immersing it in the water with baking soda.
- Finally, you can optionally put the towel in the washing machine and do a normal cycle to ensure and completely remove the unpleasant aroma of moisture, as long as you dry it well in the dryer or in full sun for as long as you need.
How to remove the smell of moisture from bath towels with vinegar
Washing towels with vinegar to remove the smell of moisture is a great alternative. This product has the power to neutralize bad aromas and fights bacteria and fungi formed by excess moisture. If you want to wash the towels with vinegar and baking soda in a washing machine, do it this way:
- Put the towels affected by the smell of moisture in the washing machine.
- Start the washing cycle and stop it after a few minutes.
- Add a cup with the mixture of hot water, baking soda and white vinegar in the washing machine.
- Soak the towels for 15 minutes to eliminate the bad smell.
- Start the washing again so that the washing machine cycle is completed.
If you have apple vinegar, you can also use it together with your favorite softener to get the best cleansing aroma. Vinegar will enhance and improve the smell of the softener. If you were wondering how to perfume towels, this is an easy and effective way.
How to remove the smell of moisture from towels with ammonia
To finish telling you how to remove the bad smell of moisture from towels, we recommend using ammonia. Despite the necessary precautions for use due to the corrosive power it contains, washing towels with ammonia to remove the smell of moisture is another effective option. You just need to wear gloves to prevent possible damage and follow these steps if you want to learn how to remove the smell of moisture from ammonia towels:
- Mix soap with diluted ammonia and add it to a container with water.
- If it is very large towels, choose to make the mixture in the bathtub.
- Leave the towels to soak for several minutes.
- Finally, put them in the washing machine and schedule a normal cycle so that they are completely clean, without bad smells, peeling and fluffy.
Tips to avoid the smell of moisture from towels
After helping you discover how to remove the smell of moisture from towels with these products, in a info-grinik we give you tips to avoid this unpleasant aroma:
- Don’t leave the towels in the laundry basket. Try to wash them as soon as possible, because if you mix them with these clothes you will probably get worse the aroma they give off because they have moisture or already have mold.
- Store towels well folded and dry. Take care that the cabinet is not a focus of moisture by placing small bags of coffee, salt or rice to absorb them.
- Change towels frequently. Don’t prolong its use too long between washing and washing.
- Ventilate the bathroom to prevent much moisture from concentrating and harming the fabric.
- Dry towels lying in the sun as long as possible and if there is not enough sun in your area, use a dryer, but avoid storing them with a damp point because the problem of mold and its bad smell will appear.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to remove the smell of moisture from towels, we recommend that you enter our Home Cleaning category.