How to open the clams
There are many clam recipes with which to conquer any palate. You can cook seafood, in tomato sauce, accompany them with rice or shrimp, among many more ideas. This product allows different elaborations to be made, but for them to be successful it is essential to know the cooking times they need and get the shells to open.
All those clams that, once cooked, have not been opened, must be discarded. It is an indispensable measure to not take risks and endanger health. Do you want to know some methods to open this seafood? Find out how to open the clams, the procedure to clean them and more details by reading this article from unCOMO.
How to open the clams with steam
If you plan to cook them a la marinera or with some type of salsa you will be interested in discovering how to open the steamed clams. Follow these steps:
- Use a bucket full of salted water or sea water to dip the clams. Make sure that the solution has a ratio of 70 grams of salt per liter of water.
- Remove the net in which the clams are stored and immerse them in the water.
- Place a plastic lid or cloth on top of the bucket to recreate the natural habitat of the clams, that is, the seabed. This way, they will open more easily.
- Leave the clams submerged for two hours.
- When you take them out, filter the water to remove any remains of sand that they may contain.
- Use filtered water to boil the clams. Use enough to cover them in the pot.
- With the boiling water, add the clams.
- Finally, wait for the boiling point to rise again and, after the cooking time (from 5 to 10 minutes), you can remove them by checking that the shells have opened.
How to open frozen clams
A simple method with which you will solve your doubts about how frozen clams open is with the use of the microwave. It is another way to open clams using steam:
- Place the clams in a microwave-safe container.
- Add olive oil, a little white wine and some bay leaves to give more flavor to the recipe.
- Put the microwave into operation: 3 minutes with maximum power.
- After this time, wait to open it for another 30 seconds.
- Open the microwave and check that all the shells have opened.
- If some clams are still closed, put the container in the microwave for 40 more seconds. Check again if the discards have been opened and those that remain closed, since they will not be eligible to consume them.
How to open fine clams with a knife
The procedure to open fine clam requires skill with the knife. Follow these steps to get it safely:
- Insert the knife with caution through the leaflets, that is, the area near the hinge.
- When you have put the knife in, make the cut delicately. This way, you will take off the muscle with which the shells join.
- Remove the water from the interior: the fine clam will generate water again when you cook it.
- Serve the clams in a layer of ice to preserve the texture until you go to eat them.
How to open raw clams
You can also learn how to open raw clams with the following instructions to cook them very little and open them more easily:
- Place them on a strainer.
- Boil water in a pot and immerse the strainer for 20 seconds.
- With a knife and carefully, open the shells: it will be easier because of the previous effect of steam.
These molluscs can also be opened by making them in a frying pan, sautéed with slices of garlic and olive oil and covering them with a lid. You can resort to any of the methods exposed to learn how to open the clams: choose the most appropriate depending on the state of the seafood and how you want to eat it.
Health benefits of clams
Once we have already explained to you that there are different methods to open the clams according to the needs of each moment (the procedure varies depending on whether they are steamed clams, fine and raw), it is important to clarify that preparing raw or frozen clams requires different steps to follow, but first it is important to know the nutritional contribution and the benefits of the product. Its consumption is highly recommended for the following benefits, but we must also take precautions according to some aspects of our health:
- Clams are low in calories (about 75 kcal per 100 grams), so they fit perfectly into a balanced diet. Even so, you must control their consumption because of the cholesterol it contributes to the body and avoid them if you do not want to eat purines or have some intolerance or allergy to seafood
- It is a great source of protein and is low in fat and carbohydrates.
- It contains iron, so it contributes to the production of red blood cells and the prevention of anemia.
- It provides potassium, a mineral that improves the activity of the nervous system.
- It has calcium with which it favors the strengthening of bones and strengthens the immune system thanks to its zinc content.