How to make orange bread
Orange bread, or orange pancake, is an exquisite dessert and simple to prepare, well known for its citrus aromatic note. For this reason, when you cook it, the house is impregnated with its smell and invites you to enjoy it. An interesting difference to mention between orange bread, sponge cake and other similar preparations, consists of the portions: the orange bread recipe always maintains the same weight in its ingredients.
This delicious pancake is ideal for breakfast or snacking, you can accompany it with a cup of tea, coffee, hot chocolate, milk or putting a ball of ice cream on top. Although this dessert does not need topping, if you feel like it you can bathe it with chocolate ganache, glass sugar (impalpable), cream cheese or orange bitumen, a glaze (of any citrus fruit to combine it), chopped nuts, orange zest or syrup.
Did your mouth water? Because at info-grinik we don’t leave you wanting to taste this delicacy and we teach you how to make easy orange bread, as well as many tricks to make it exquisite. Finally, if you don’t have an oven, don’t worry! We also tell you how to make orange bread without an oven.
Steps to follow:
Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Try to do it 10-20 minutes before putting the mixture in to make this fluffy orange bread.
Choose a mold of about 24 cm. Grease and flour the mold, you can also cover it with baking paper. Trim a piece for the base and a ribbon for the sides.
Beat the butter until you get ointment texture. This process is called creaming and consists of introducing air into the preparation by shaking. The most convenient thing is to use balloon rods. If you want an optimal result, use butter at room temperature and cut it into small cubes. Thanks to this technique, the bread will be more fluffy and with a loose crumb.
If you want to make a healthier orange pancake, you can substitute butter and make orange bread with oil.
Add the sugar. Do it little by little until it is completely diluted, because if you throw it all at once, you can lose all the air introduced. In the end, you must obtain a soft and homogeneous cream.
Incorporate the eggs one by one, while continuing to beat. Wait until each egg is completely integrated before adding the next one.
Add the orange zest. Spread it over the preparation and insert it very well.
Pour the orange juice. Do it very slowly, in the form of a thread, so you avoid lowering the mixture. In addition, if you want to add spices or additional liquor, this is the right time to do it, equally, little by little. You can use natural or bought juice.
Gradually add the sifted flour. Insert it slowly with a spatula while you make enveloping movements. Do it in three batches and mix until all the flour is integrated correctly. Remember, if you use rods, don’t overwhisk or gluten will develop and you will detract from the sponginess of the dough of homemade orange bread.
Bake for 45 minutes or until well cooked. The ideal is to cook the cake first with heat below (without fan) for the first minutes and until it grows; then you can put heat on top.
If you cook with both at the same time, you can cause the cake to sink in the middle. During that period of time, never open the oven until it reaches 30-35 minutes.
Take your super fluffy orange bread out of the oven and enjoy! You can add any of the toppings that we suggested above or enjoy the cake as it came out of the oven, hot and very homemade!
If you don’t have an oven, but you want to know how to make orange bread without an oven, don’t worry. It has no complications and you will love the result. Among the main cooking options without oven are the stove (in water bath) and the microwave.
Disadvantages? You must be very aware of cooking, especially in a microwave, because if you overdo it, it will dry so much that it will look like a cardboard. Another detail that could perhaps be considered a disadvantage is in its external appearance, because in both cases, the cake will look pale, never golden like in the oven.
How to make orange bread in the microwave
If you find it easier to microwave, follow the steps below to prepare a fluffy and fast orange pancake:
- Grease and flour a silicone mold or any other type of special microwave container (glass or plastic).
- Pour the mixture. If you use a silicone mold and feel it very soft or unstable, before pouring the preparation, put a microwave-safe dish underneath.
- Cook for between 2-5 minutes. Put maximum power in the microwave and divide the time into 1-minute intervals, without opening the door. The intervals help prevent the preparation from receiving too much heat at once and, consequently, the final product from drying out. After you see the bread grow, give it a few more seconds (not minutes), and open the door to do the toothpick test.
- Remember: depending on the power of your microwave it can be cooked for less or more time, so you must know your device well or do some previous tests. In some microwaves, cooking this bread could take up to 10 minutes, while in others just over 2 minutes.
- Prick the bread with a toothpick. Do it in the center, if it comes out clean it is ready, if not, cook for a few more seconds.
- Let it cool for a while. Now follow the same steps that we indicate in the recipe.
How to make orange bread on the stove to bath Mary
With a water bath we can imitate the preparation in the oven easily, because the orange bread will be cooked homogeneously. Follow these steps to prepare orange bread on the fire:
- Grease and flour a mold. Use a tall mold that you can comfortably put inside a high saucepan (you must be able to cover it without problem). The best molds for cooking cakes in a water bath are flaneras, because they have sufficient height and have a lid included.
- Prepare the Maria bath. Boil water in a saucepan, the water must cover 3⁄4 parts of the chosen mold.
- Pour the mixture into the mold. If the mold has no lid, cover it with aluminum foil. It is very important that it is tightly closed, because if water enters, the preparation can be damaged.
- Insert the mold into the water bath. Put it carefully, so you avoid burning yourself. Also cover the casserole.
- Cook for 1 hour or until cooked. Do not open any of the lids until after 30-35 minutes or it will come down (as it happens in the oven).
- Add water in the saucepan if necessary. As the cake cooks, the water in the water bath will dry up, so you must replace it very carefully, always avoiding wetting the mold. Another detail that you should consider is to place only warm water so as not to change the cooking temperature.
- Test him on the toothpick. Plyze it in the center, if it comes out clean it is ready, if not, continue cooking until it comes out dry.
- Let it cool for a while. From now on, follow the same steps that we indicate in the recipe.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to make orange bread, we recommend that you enter our Recipes category.
- You can add 2 tbsp Cointreau or any other orange liquor in the mixture.
- For a strong orange liquor flavor, prepare a syrup and add the liquor. Then, moisten the bread in it.
- You can add in the preparation 1/2 cup of chopped or ground nuts. It also serves any nut.
- Remember to flour the nuts if you plan to add them chopped.
- You can substitute 1 or 1/2 cup of refined sugar with brown sugar, so you give it a rich flavor and make a healthier orange bread.
- If you want spicy orange bread, add: ginger, nutmeg and cloves (1 tbsp of each is enough)
- If you like, you can use 1 tbsp orange blossom essence or 1 tbsp vanilla extract.
- You can combine 1/2 tbsp orange zest with 1/2 tsp green lemon zest and add it in the preparation.
- If you use orange blossom you intensify the citrus flavor and aroma.
- When grating the orange (or any other citrus fruit like it), try not to scrape the white part, so bitter.