How to make a light fried pie dough
Pie are an international snack, and are part of the gastronomic history of many places around the world, both in Europe and Asia and, above all, in Latin America.
If it is fried pie, these appear more in Hispanic cuisine and have different versions. In Latin America, this snack is prepared mainly with wheat or corn flour, although there are many variants that use vegetables or other ingredients in the dough.
In most Latin American countries, fried pie are part of street food, which could well be described as a festival of flavors, capable of surprising even the most demanding palates. For this reason, in a info-grinik we teach you how to make a light fried pie dough, either with wheat flour or corn flour. You will be captivated by its peculiar flavor and magnificent texture!
Steps to follow:
To start with this recipe for fried pie, sift the flour and mix it with the baking powder and salt. If you want, you can also add sugar. This will give a sweet spot to your crispy fried pie that will combine very well with the dough and the filling.
Add the chopped butter. Mix until dough balls form. Remember to take the butter in advance from the refrigerator and chop it into pieces. If you don’t like to use butter, you can replace it with 30 ml of oil to make a dough for fried pie without butter.
Pour the water. Add it very little by little, so you allow the dough to take shape. Mix until the dough no longer sticks to your hands and acquires a very soft and manageable consistency. If you add the orange juice, do it the same way.
Work the dough of the homemade pie for 5 minutes. Form a ball of dough and work it for a few minutes on the countertop or inn. Sprinkle a little flour on the work surface beforehand, but without exceeding.
Form a ball of dough. Put oil on your hands to spread it on the ball. Then, deposit the dough in a bowl and cover the container with film or a clean kitchen towel. Let her rest 5-30 minutes. During rest, the flour particles will get better wet and, consequently, you will get a more manageable dough.
Clean the work surface very well and spread the dough with a roller (stick or bolillo) on the worktop. There should be a very fine mass, approximately 1 millimeter thick. This detail is very important, because the cooking in oil is very fast and, if the dough is very thick, it will brown quickly on the outside but it will be raw on the inside.
Trim several discs of dough. Use a bowl of a suitable size to use it in a similar way as you would use a cookie cutter.
Remove the remaining dough. Make a ball with the remaining dough and let it rest for 10 minutes. Put it in a bowl and cover it with film. After that time, repeat the previous operation with this mass.
Incorporate the filling into each dough disc. Add 1 tablespoon of filling for each.
If you don’t know which filling for fried pie to use, you can follow one of these recipes:
- Corn pie
- Meat pie
- Ham and cheese pie
- Spinach pie
Close the discs. Fold the dough in half carefully to prevent the filling from coming out. Press the edge with your fingertips, so that the empanada is sealed.
Decorate the edge of the empanada. There are several ways to make the empanada repulgue. The most common is to make a repulch by pressing each short segment of the edge of the dough with the fingertip, and folding that piece of dough inward.
Another simpler technique to decorate the empanada is to step on the edge of the dough with a fork. Finally, it is also worth acquiring a mold of pie, since it leaves the edge printed and, at the same time, molds the empanada.
Let the pie rest in the refrigerator. If you have time left over, cover them with film, and leave them there for 30 minutes before frying them.
Fry the pie. You can do it in a frying pan or using a fryer. Use plenty of oil and let it heat up enough. Fry them on both sides until they are golden brown.
Once fried, place them on a plate lined with absorbent paper, thus eliminating excess fat.
Serve the hot pie. You can accompany them with dips or sauces, or eat them alone. Now, you know how to make dough for fried pie, share it!
Another of the most popular ways to prepare fried pie is using corn flour, a recipe more popular in countries like Colombia and Venezuela. If you want to know how to make fried corn emppienadas, don’t worry! Here we show you what you need for the dough and how to prepare it.
Ingredients for fried corn pie
- 1 1⁄2 cup of pre-cooked corn flour
- 1⁄4 tbsp of salt
- 1 1⁄2 cup of water
With this amount of ingredients you will get approximately 8 Venezuelan fried pie. Optionally, you can also add sugar as in the previous recipe. As a filling, any stew will look good with this type of dough, you can also simply fill them with grated white cheese.
Preparation of fried corn pie
Once you have the ingredients ready, follow these easy steps to make easy corn fried empanada dough.
- Place the cornmeal and salt in a bowl. Additionally, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of wheat flour or cornstarch. This trick allows the dough to acquire consistency more easily.
- Add the water little by little while mixing with your hands.
- Knead until you get a soft, consistent but manipulable dough. If the dough is very dry, add water and, if it is very watery, put more flour on it. Add the water with a spoon, so you better control the amount.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Prepare several balls with the dough. Make them the same size, so the pie will be even. Reserve.
- Use a plastic bag. Trim a bag with closure (ziploc type), so that it is rectangular in shape.
- Flatten one of the balls on the plastic previously wet in water or greased with a little oil. Use your fingertips to give it as circular a shape as possible. Don’t worry if it looks quite irregular, since when sealed it will look like homemade pie.
- Put a tablespoon of the filling of your choice.
- Close the bag with the dough. Fold it in half, creating an irregular crescent shape.
- Trim the leftover edge while it is still covered by plastic, you can use a spoon or a bowl to make it easier for you.
- Remove the plastic and reserve. Continue preparing pie until you complete a batch. Put them on a large plate or tray and cover them with a cloth, ready to fry!
If you want to read more articles similar to How to make a light fried pie dough, we recommend that you enter our Recipes category.
- If you want a very thin wheat dough, pass it through a pasta cutting machine.
- Another way to obtain a very fine wheat dough is to use an omelette press.
- Baked empanada dough contains egg and less butter than the recipe for fried pie.
- Orange juice provides a special touch that serves both salty and sweet food.
- You can use 1 tablespoon of orange blossom, instead of orange juice.