How to dehydrate bananas
Dehydrating food is an easy and practical solution to preserve them for longer and maintain all their nutrients. In addition, it is a very versatile process that allows you to make multiple recipes and enjoy their flavor at any time of the day, since dehydrated fruits can be used in salads, desserts, granolas, smoothies, or you can even eat them as snacks!
On the other hand, it should be mentioned that being a homemade dehydrated these foods are even healthier, since they are free of harmful preservatives. If you want to know how to dehydrate fruit at home and want to start with one of the healthiest and most delicious, don’t miss the following article from info-grinik. We explain how to dehydrate bananas to make your own tasty and healthy dishes, let’s go!
Dehydrate baked bananas
If you wonder how to dehydrate baked bananas, you should know that this is one of the most effective methods and used at home. To make the banana perfect and you can keep it dehydrated for a while, follow these steps:
- Preheat the oven between 50°C and 90°C. It is important that the temperature does not exceed these degrees so as not to burn the food.
- While the oven heats up, cut the banana into slices of about 0.5 cm, although if you want them to be very crispy, you can cut slices of about 0.3 cm.
- To add flavor, keep the banana vitamins and prevent it from darken, soak the slices in lemon juice. In case you don’t mind if they turn brown, you can skip this step.
- Then place the banana slices on the oven rack, separated from each other, forming a single layer. If you don’t have a grid, you can place them on the baking sheet, covered with baking paper and a little olive oil spray. In this case, since the banana will not be able to remove all its liquid to dehydrate, you must leave the oven door open a few centimeters, to prevent moisture from staying inside.
- Before putting them in the oven, you can add some flavor to them. If you want to make a salty snack, you can put a pinch of salt on them. In case you want them sweets, cinnamon or nutmeg are perfect options.
- Put the banana in the preheated oven. In case you finally use the grid, put the tray underneath so that the drops of water fall on it.
- For the dehydrated banana to be crispy, you must bake for 1 to 3 hours. When half the time has passed, turn the slices over.
- To achieve the perfect crispy, take them out of the oven when their texture is soft, so they will dry and become crispier. Let them cool completely on the grid at room temperature.
Ready! You already have the dehydrated banana ready to taste or store in an airtight container, where it can be stored for a few months.
Dehydrate banana in a microwave
One of the easiest methods to learn how to dehydrate fruit at home is using the microwave. How do you read it? With this appliance you will be able to obtain dehydrated bananas in a simple and economical way with only 30-45 minutes. For the method to be effective and you can enjoy a delicious dehydrated banana, follow these steps:
- Peel the banana and cut it into slices of about 0.6 centimeters. Think that if you make some very thin slices they can burn, and if they are very thick they may not be done properly.
- Take a plate, sprinkle some olive oil or coconut and place the slices separated from each other. It is important to leave space between them; if you see that on a plate you do not have enough space, you can do it twice.
- Put the defrosting function in the microwave and the time of 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the power of your appliance. It is very important to do it from the thawing function to prevent the banana from burning.
However, if you don’t have free time and want to do it faster, you can follow these steps:
- Heat the banana to maximum power for a minute. In this time, the slices will remove your moisture and become soft.
- After the first minute, turn the slices over and add the flavor you want, either ground cinnamon or nutmeg to give it a sweet flavor or a little salt if you feel like giving them a salty touch.
- Then, heat them for another 30 seconds. If you see that in this time they have not been completely crispy, add 30 more seconds to the preparation.
Dehydrate banana in a dehydrator
If you have a dehydrator at home, the task of dehydrating bananas (or any other fruit) will be very simple, although it may take a little longer. Take note to make the result perfect and very professional:
- Prepare the bananas by cutting them into 0.5 cm slices if you want them to be more elastic or 0.3 cm if you want them to be crispy. In addition, the difference in thickness will determine the time needed for dehydration, which can be 24 hours if they are thicker or 12 hours if they are thinner.
- Once you have them cut, remember that you can spice the banana to add flavor or soak it in lemon juice to prevent it from darkened.
- Spray the dehydrator grid with aerosol olive oil to prevent the banana from sticking and place the slices separated from each other.
- Set the dehydrator at 55oC so that it begins to dehydrate. If you want the banana to be crispy, you will need 24 hours, although if you prefer it to be more elastic, you can have it ready between 6 and 12 hours, to taste. It is important that every 2 or 4 hours you check how the slices are going and rotate the grid to make them uniform.
After the expected time, and also taking into account the instructions of your dehydrator, let the banana cool to room temperature. Ready! You can now enjoy its flavor or store it in an airtight container where it can be stored for months.
Dehydrate banana in the sun
Although it is the slowest method, if you do not have any of the above appliances or want to avoid using them, you should know that it is also possible to dehydrate bananas in the sun. Of course, to be a success, you must look at the weather forecast and have at least 2 days of a warm and dry climate, although the ideal is to dehydrate the banana for 7 days to make it perfect, especially if the temperatures are lower. We explain how to dehydrate bananas at home by following this method:
- Buy a grid to dehydrate. You can also make it with a wooden frame and a stainless steel or food-safe plastic mesh. It is important to avoid aluminum, fiberglass or wire meshes.
- Prepare the bananas by cutting them into thin slices of no more than 0.6 centimeters.
- Tip: to prevent them from turning brown, you can add a splash of lemon. In addition, you can season them to give them more flavor, for example, with cinnamon to taste.
- Then place the banana slices on the grid, well separated from each other.
- Cover the banana with an insect mesh to protect the food from dust, animal hair or other types of dirt.
- Finally, place the grid directly in sunlight, in a clean and smoke-free space. From a to we advise you to place the grid a few centimeters from the ground.
- At night, even if they are warm, the grid enters the house to prevent the morning dew from moistening the banana.
- Since it is a process of at least 7 days, we recommend turning the slices around either in the middle of the process or from the second day.
- To know if it is ready after 7 days, we advise you to cut a slice to know its humidity level.
As soon as they are completely dry and crispy, you will have your dehydrated banana ready to enjoy. Store it in an airtight container so you can store them for months.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to dehydrate bananas, we recommend that you enter our Food and Drink category.