How to cook frozen prawns
Do you want to prepare a very special meal, but that doesn’t affect your budget so much? We have an excellent suggestion with these frozen prawn recipes. Shrimp are very tasty and cheaper than other seafood. Also, if you buy them frozen, you save more.
Prawns have a mild flavor, as well as a tender and juicy texture, unlike prawns, whose flavor is more intense, and their consistency harder and drier. In the market you can find different presentations of this marine product: with or without shell, frozen or fresh, and cooked or raw. In this sense, when cooking frozen prawns it is important to take into account the different presentations, since this influences the way they are prepared and thawed.
Baked frozen prawns
Cooking frozen prawns in the oven has many advantages: you dirty less, the house does not smoke, you can bake several trays simultaneously and, primarily, you can continue serving your guests!
Although the most appropriate thing when preparing them is to let them thaw slowly for 12 hours, you can’t always. Don’t worry, in those cases we can always resort to practical and safe tricks that will allow us to get out of any culinary trouble. Of course, never add them directly without treating them, because the saucer will be damaged.
Finally, always when thawing takes into account whether or not the seafood has a shell, this factor is essential to thaw them quickly but correctly. Having clarified this essential point, if you want to prepare frozen shrimp in the oven, just follow these super simple steps of this recipe with a spicy touch:
- If it is raw shrimp without shell, thaw slightly. Leave the prawns in their bag (hermetically closed) or put them in a bag that you can close tightly, and immerse them in warm water (environment) for 10 minutes. Finally, rinse them lightly under the tap and drain well.
- If you have raw shrimp with shell, heat in a pot 3 liters of water per 1 kilo of prawns. Previously, pass the shrimp through direct tap water. The idea is that the prawns are not in blocks and separate.
- When the water begins to boil, incorporate the seafood. After a while, the water will boil again, this time with the seafood inside, and the prawns will ascend to the surface. Just at that moment, take them out quickly, and pass them through inverted water bath, and leave them there for 5 minutes. Then drain them well. The inverted water bath consists of placing in a bowl with plenty of water, ice, and in this case salt.
- Prepare the vegetables. Open a couple of chillies, take out the white part and the seeds. On the other hand, peel the garlic. Finally, rinse the parsley branches and chop them.
- Crush the above ingredients, and mix them together with the salt and a splash of oil. You can crush everything with a mortar, blender or food processor. Once ready, reserve the preparation. Let her rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 175-180 oC. Have it hot at least 10 minutes before introducing the seafood. Use heat up and heat down.
- Arrange the prawns on a baking sheet. Cover the tray with a sheet of silicone or vegetable paper. Then, distribute the seafood, so that some are not piled up on top of the other.
- Pour the reserved mixture. Distribute it evenly on prawns, you can help yourself with a kitchen brush. If you prefer a more intense flavor, leave the prawns impregnated in the preparation for 10 minutes.
- Bake at 175-180 oC for 14-20 minutes or until ready. This would be the time for slow thawed prawns or in the express thawing of 10 minutes. On the other hand, if you thawed them by precooking them, it will be enough to take 8-10 minutes in total or until they are ready. You will know that they are ready because they change color, they turn orange or intense red. Use heat up and heat down.
Grilled frozen prawns
The process to prepare grilled frozen shrimp is very easy and the result obtained is delicious if done correctly, since we must remember that if we plan to thaw the seafood in a hurry, this can affect its quality and its essential characteristics.
In this sense, the main thing is the way you thaw prawns. Let’s not forget that, even if we do it correctly, the use of express techniques always affect the appearance of seafood a little. That is, it changes the color of the head a little (sometimes it becomes whitisher), and it becomes more difficult to remove the shell.
Although there are people who cook frozen prawns directly on the griddle or frying pan, if you deposit it directly without thawing, they will be annealed in their own frozen water and the recipe will be damaged. To know how to cook frozen prawns on the grill, follow the steps below:
- For raw shellless hambones, thaw them slightly. Leave them in your bag or put them in a bag that you can close tightly, the idea is not to wet the prawns. Immerse them in warm water (room temperature) for 10 minutes. Rinse them lightly under the tap and drain them very well.
- For raw shrimp with shells, bring them to a boil. Heat in a saucepan 3 liters of water per 1 kilo of prawns. Previously, pass the shrimp through tap water directly and remove any traces of ice. When the water in the saucepan begins to boil, incorporate the seafood. After a while, the water will boil again, and the prawns will float. Remove them as soon as they float and pass them through a bowl with plenty of water, ice and salt. Leave them there for 5 minutes and drain them very well.
- Cut the beards of prawns.
- Heat the griddle or frying pan very well. You don’t need to add oil on the surface. Wait about 10 minutes before placing the prawns.
- Add them the dressings of your choice. For example, you can sprinkle garlic and pour a splash of lemon on them.
- Turn the seafood over. Once seasoned, cook them on the other side. If you thawed them slowly or if you immersed them in water, do it for 4 minutes. If you thawed them by precooking them, it will take 2 minutes or until you see them ready.
- Add a splash of extra virgin olive oil and salt.
- Serve the hot shrimps. Sprinkle them with chopped parsley if you feel like it and take them directly to the table.
Microwave frozen prawns
Here is the most effective method to cook espresso shrimp recipes, the microwave! If you are in a hurry, you can prepare the frozen shrimp in the microwave without much problem.
Of course, take into account that the previous methods we like better, because when it comes to seafood, the microwave would be our last option, since there is always the risk of cooking it too much.
For this reason, you must know your microwave very well and the power it has to heat. Here we leave you the step by step to prepare frozen shrimp in the microwave and garlic in just 3 minutes:
- First defrost them. Although the ideal is to thaw them slowly in the refrigerator, we give you two additional options.
- Thaw them with water and salt. Another way to thaw frozen shrimp with raw shell is to put them in a plastic or glass container, add a chopped lemon in two parts, 1 tbsp of coarse salt and cover them with cold water. Afterwards, they are left at rest for 1 hour. After that time, drain the prawns, rinse them lightly and drain again.
- Thaw them in the microwave. You can do it with a steam case. Add 2-3 tbsp water, put the tray in and on top of the prawns, and close. Program to thaw and start the process in phases of 30 seconds until when you touch them you feel firm, but not hard.
- Crush 2 cloves of garlic and a handful of parsley.
- Crush them well in the mortar and mix them with 2 tbsp of olive oil and 1 pinch of coarse salt (fat). Make the preparation in advance, at least 30 minutes before cooking the prawns.
- Smear the crush on the prawns. Help yourself with a kitchen brush to paint them.
- Put them in the microwave for 1 and a half minutes at maximum power. If you have a special plastic lid for cooking food in the microwave, put it on the plate. Remember, the weather can be more or less, depending on the power of your microwave.
- Turn them around and spread them again with the crush.
- Put them back in the microwave, 1 and a half minutes more.
- If you want, add another pinch of coarse salt. Put it on while they are still hot.
- Let cool and serve.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to cook frozen prawns, we recommend that you enter our Food and Drink category.
- Shelled prawns preserve the flavor better.
- To prepare garlic shrimp, it is advisable to buy the product without shell, because it is more practical.
- Likewise, to prepare prawns with stew, it is preferable to acquire prawns without shell.
- The prawns are ready when they change color, leave their position almost straight and take the shape of the letter C.