How to cook canes
One of the greatest delicacies of gastronomy worldwide is seafood. Tasting these fresh foods is a real delight for the palate of many people, but it is necessary to know how to prepare them properly, because, for example, aspects such as cooking seafood are sometimes not as simple as it may seem. In this recipe we will focus on cane, known in some places as snails or sea snails.
If you want to know what exactly they are and how to cook cañaillas, as well as more details about the recipe, such as tricks to make them perfect and dressings or sauces to accompany them, in a HOWTO we recommend that you continue reading this easy cooked cane recipe.
Steps to follow:
- Before delving into the recipe for cooking canes, it is important to clarify what they are. It is a very popular seafood in Spain, especially in Andalusia. In some places they are also known as sea snails, since they belong to the family of molluscs that inhabit the sea. To differentiate them from other shellfish or snail type, keep in mind that this is a species with a yellow shell that has a very elongated end. Even so, once consumed, it is the texture and flavor that is the most outstanding factors of the food. As for their nutritional content, cane stands out for being a source of calcium and potassium, for having a high content of protein, vitamin B and folic acid. In addition, they have very little fat and a low calorie content (91 kcal per 100 grams).After knowing exactly what canes are, we began to prepare the recipe. First, buy the amount you consider most appropriate according to the diners you are going to have and depending on whether there will be many more dishes to taste or if it will be a main or unique dish.
- Once you have them at home, start the recipe and fill a container with water and salt (about 70 grams of salt per liter) and introduce the cañaillas. This way you are going to clean the reeds. By immersing the product in water and salt, you will make the sand and impurities in the shells disappear. Try to change the water when it gets dirty and repeat the action as many times as necessary until the water is kept clean: it will be the signal that the canes are ready to cook.
- Fill a saucepan with water and, at the same time, prepare a bowl containing salt and cold water. A trick to cook canes that is very useful at this point of the elaboration is to add ice to the bowl of salt water, in this way, it will be kept at low temperature. Place the saucepan full of water on one of the stoves of your kitchen so that it begins to boil.
- When the water in the saucepan is boiling, you can already add these seafood. When it boils again, pay special attention to cooking: the cooking time of the canes ranges from 10 to 12 minutes. The exact period will depend on the size of the product, since the larger the more cooking time it requires.
- After 10-12 minutes of time, place the canillas in the bowl with cold water prepared previously to finish cooking. Afterwards, you can drain them and serve them to eat.
- Now that you know how to cook the cañaillas, we encourage you to discover more ideas of dressings and sauces for the cañaillas.
- To bring a different nuance to the flavor of the product and enrich it, you can dress the cane with a few drops of lemon and that’s it or you can even add a little pepper and a few drops of soft oil. They are also delicious only with a pinch of pepper
- A sofrito is a good accompaniment to cañaillas, although you can also eat them with a simple salad.
- As for the sauces that can accompany them, the one composed of butter, garlic and parsley is ideal as a sauce for cane. Here you can learn how to make garlic and parsley butter, we recommend adding a little to the preparation of these seafood or putting a little in the center of the table for diners to take it to their liking. Another option is to make a slightly lighter garlic and parsley sauce, without the butter.
- To pair this meal, in a HOWTO we recommend you to drink a white wine with which you will enjoy even more the flavor of cooked cañaillas. Here we show you the Types of white wine.
- We finish this simple recipe for cañaillas with some tips on how to eat them. It is important to know how canes are eaten before trying, since it is not as simple as it may seem at first glance: use a double-pointed toothpick or thin toothpick, which is specific to eat seafood, to extract all the meat from one piece. You must also remove the operculum, that is, the small lid with which the hole of the conch is covered, before eating them. With this simple method, you will know how to remove the whole reeds without fear of breaking, as long as you practice it with patience.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to cook canes, we recommend that you enter our Food category.
- It is essential to be clear how to know if the canes are bad to avoid possible poisoning with their consumption. You must pay attention to these aspects. Like any other seafood, the smell is important. Check that the reeds smell good or that, at least, they do not give off an unpleasant aroma. A strong smell of the sea can be normal, but if you detect an odor that seems rotten avoid preparing these conch shells. You may detect it before you start preparing them, but also pay attention to the smell when you start cooking them, because if they are starting to get bad, it may not be noticed before cooking.
- A lot of attention to the appearance. The meat it contains must be soft and firm to the touch.
- If you buy the fresh product, the shell will be closed. If you find any open, throw it away because it is probably in poor condition and it is not worth risking your health and that of your diners.