How to clean the washing machine filter
The washing machine is one of the most used appliances in homes. Its function is to keep clean the clothes of all family members and the different fabrics of the home, treating with the delicacy that each type of garment deserves with different washing programs. To ensure its performance and keep it in good condition, it is important to clean the filter it contains and in which traces of dirt accumulate.
Washing machine filters are one of the most sensitive parts of the machine and, at the same time, essential to fulfill its functions. Therefore, it is necessary that you know the best method to keep it in an optimal state. Find out how to clean the washing machine filter, the consequences of neglecting its maintenance and more details about it by reading this article from info-grinik.
Where is the washing machine filter?
The area in which the washing machine filter is located changes depending on the type of machine, that is, whether you have a front-loaded or top-loading one, and sometimes it even changes according to the model. Therefore, it is vital to read the manual that comes next to the appliance.
Generically, we can indicate that in the case of front-loading washing machines, the filter is located at the bottom of the front. Look closely to find a long panel, called a technical hatch or service, or a rectangular or square lid located in a corner of this front. Once you place it, open it easily following these steps:
- If it doesn’t have its own tab to be able to put your finger and pry it open it, with the help of a screwdriver, pry on an edge.
- Press the latches to open.
- Remove the lid and you will have access to the filter to be able to clean it.
On the other hand, if you have a top load washing machine, it may be that it has the filter in the same place as a front load washing machine or, you need to open the washing machine door to find the filter. Then, to remove the filter from the washing machine, do the following:
- Open the drum and in the background you will find a plastic box that will be hidden in the back of the door.
- Put your finger in the hole in the box.
- Handle the latch so that the filter comes out.
If you see that you can’t remove the filter cap from the top load washing machine, it’s probably because you have inadvertently turned the drum with your fins open. In this way, a complicated collapse to solve without the help of a technician originates.
What it takes to clean the washing machine filter
You need to have the following materials and products to clean the washing machine filter:
- A plate or a flat tray.
- Microfiber cloths, more absorbent and with a greater capacity to remove dirt and dust than traditional ones.
- Toothbrush or similar.
How to clean the front loading washing machine filter
To clean the filter of front-loaded washing machines, in a HOWTO we recommend that you follow these instructions:
- Tilt the machine slightly backwards if leaving it straight you don’t have enough space to maneuver the bottom of it.
- Remove the container from the washing machine to collect water that is at the bottom of the drainage hole, covering the area with several rags.
- Open the lid of the filter area of the washing machine and first remove the water from the drain with the drain hose, located very close to the filter, placing a container to collect the water. When you have the container in place, open the hose cap and let it drain until no more water comes out and cover the hose again. This hose is usually black, red or orange.
- Now move on to clean the filter. Unscrew the filter cap by turning left until the filter comes out completely in the form of a basket.
- Do the surface cleaning, removing accumulated dirt and rust. You can use water, a brush and a universal cleaner.
- When finished, put the filter back in place and screw the lid completely, then also place the well-covered hose in place and, finally, close the lid of this area of the washing machine.
How to clean the top load washing machine filter
Before detailing the process of cleaning the filter of the top load washing machine, it is important to clarify that some machines of this type have the filter located in the same area as those of front loading. Therefore, in these cases the method is very similar.
On the other hand, for top load washing machines with the filter located inside the drum, cleaning is much easier: it is only necessary to remove the filter, remove all accumulated dirt and rinse with pressurized water, let it dry, place it in place and cover it again.
How often you have to clean the washing machine filter
Every 2-3 months you must clean the filter of the washing machine. Although there is no specific period of time, this interval is enough for the machine to work without giving any problems.
Besides, when you are going to do a very dirty laundry, you need to clean the filter of the washing machine after laying the clothes. The part will have accumulated too much dirt and the machine will work harder during subsequent washings.
What happens if the washing machine filter is not cleaned
If you don’t clean the washing machine filter, your clothes will be affected in both color and smell. To avoid this, it is vital to keep a control in the cleaning of the washing machine filter, in addition to being very positive for the operation of the machine. Here are the consequences of the washing machine filter being dirty:
- Clothes smell bad after washing them. Despite using the best detergent and softener, the dirt accumulated in the filter will counteract its effect and bring an unpleasant aroma to the garments.
- The washing machine itself will smell bad when you open the door. In this other article you can learn why the washing machine smells bad and in this other How to eliminate the bad smell of the washing machine.
- Jams in the drainage or drainage of the machine.
- The washing machine can’t fill with water or doesn’t take enough to carry out the scheduled cycle.
- The machinery in the end is forced constantly and suffers, until it is completely damaged, so the life of the appliance is shortened.
How often you have to change the washing machine filter
After discovering how to clean the washing machine filter in different types of machine, it should also be noted that it is inevitable to make a change of the washing machine filter from time to time. Despite cleaning it correctly, it is necessary to replace it for the appliance to work for many years, since it wears out with frequent use and washing.
Although water quality is a condition, you must carry out the replacement of the washing machine filter in periods of 6 to 12 months. This is the estimated time, but maintaining correct cleaning you can hurry up to a year or a year and a half. However, it is always advisable to read the manual that comes with the appliance to know the specific characteristics of the make and model.