How to clean an awning
Many balconies and terraces of bars, restaurants and also of housing have an awning to protect us from the strong and direct sun. It is a cover, which can be made of canvas or any other fabric resistant enough to withstand the possible fall of objects, which becomes a very important element on hot days, that is, especially in summer.
If you have one, it is important that you know how to keep it in good condition so that it fulfills its mission at the time you need it. To find out how to clean an awning, the care it requires depending on the fabric with which it has been manufactured and more details about it, in a info-grinik we advise you to continue reading this practical article.
How to clean a canvas awning
The cleaning of awnings, whether window awnings, balconies, terraces or pergola awnings, is not the same for all types of awnings that exist, although not for their installation but for their material. Thus, the material with which the awning has been manufactured will determine how to keep it in good condition. For example, one of the most common types of awnings is canvas, which has a lot of ease for the accumulation of dirt.
In a info-grinik we help you discover how to clean a very dirty canvas awning and keep it in good condition by the following steps:
- Mix detergent soap and water.
- Use a cotton cloth, soak it in the mixture, drain it and rub the canvas of the awning, insisting on the dirtiest parts. This first step will be enough to remove dirty parts or with some stains.
- You can also use a sprayer with which you can moisten the dirtiest areas more before rubbing them with the rag.
- Run a cloth moistened only with water to remove any dirt and soap that may remain.
- Let it air dry before rolling it up again.
If after this cleaning you still wonder how to clean a fabric awning thoroughly because you have seen that yours has dry or very large stains and with this method they do not come out completely, we recommend that you try cleaning the canvas with steam using a vaporette machine, because the humidity and high temperature will help you take off and remove the most difficult dirt.
How to clean a plastic awning
Despite being less common, there are also balconies and terraces with plastic awnings. The great advantage of this type of awning is the ease of cleaning them. Follow these steps to clean a plastic awning:
- Mix water with any grease remover or similar cleaning product.
- Moisten the surface of the plastic awning with the solution and brush until stains and dirt residues are removed.
- Rinse with pressurized water using a hose or by passing a cloth only wet in water several times to remove all the remains.
- Wait for the awning to air dry before picking it up.
How to clean the green of an awning
Sometimes, the green appears on the awnings. It is a layer formed by mold and is green and black. This type of stain is usually caused by the accumulation of moisture in the awning, a point to take into account to avoid it during use and maintenance. If you want to know how to clean an awning with mold, follow these steps:
- Totally moisten the awning with hot water.
- If greenish stains are not recent, choose to use a grease remover product to make it easier for you to remove them.
- Rub gently on stained areas so as not to damage the fabric of the awning.
- Rinse the entire surface with water.
- Apply an anti-mold product suitable for canvas or plastic, depending on the awning material you clean, leave it on for the time indicated in the container and water passes again to clean everything and remove all possible traces of dirt.
- Let it dry before picking it up.
This way, you remove both the largest and smallest dirt and eliminate even the spores of the mold, preventing it from reappearing easily. From here, to ensure that it does not reappear you will have to make sure that moisture does not accumulate constantly in the fabric.
Tips for cleaning an awning
After knowing the steps on how to remove stains and clean the canvas and plastic awning, even with green, we give you some tips to keep an awning cleaner and in good condition as long as possible:
- Pick up the awning whenever it starts raining so that it doesn’t accumulate too much moisture and the green is generated on the surface.
- Do not roll the awning if it is wet except for extreme need. If you can’t avoid it, you’ll have to unroll it later until it dries.
- To remove dirt from the awning and prevent it from accumulating, it is advisable to brush it at least once a week. This way, you will have greater comfort when cleaning it, since you will have followed previous maintenance and there will not be so much accumulation of dust and other dirt.
- Brush the awning with a brush that has soft bristles so as not to damage the fabric.
- With weekly brushing, you will remove pollen, dust and other dirt accumulated daily, but when you want to clean the awning thoroughly, use a vacuum cleaner so that the traces of dirt do not fall to the ground or any other surface.
- Avoid the use of soaps or other cleaning products that are not classified as surfactants and neutral. Those that do not contain these characteristics are very aggressive for awnings, being able to damage the material or even cause a detachment when the canvas breaks.
- Use pressure water with hose only if the awning is in a garden where there is a water evacuation system. This way, you will not cause discomfort in the neighbors or other problems.
- There is no need to wash an awning in the washing machine, so if you really worry about it spoiling, don’t use the washing machine under any circumstances.
- If you detect any type of stain, it is advisable that you remove it at that precise moment to prevent it from penetrating even more into the canvas fabric and drying out too much.
- Keep in mind that the most common stains on awnings are those of bird droppings, so check the canvas every day to see if it has stained and thus remove the stain right away.
- Don’t forget to clean the inner area of the awning, that is, the part of the fabric that is facing the ground, because although it gets less dirty than the outside, it will also accumulate dirt.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to clean an awning, we recommend that you enter our Home Cleaning category.