How to clean a whiteboard
Whiteboards are perfect to help children study, to set schedules, to include in the office or for your personal office. However, it is possible that after several uses dirt and markings of the markers have appeared on the blackboard, or that you have unintentionally used the wrong marker and now you do not know how to clean a whiteboard with a permanent marker.
Whatever your problem, in the following article of a info-grinik we explain how to leave your whiteboard as new by following a few simple steps and attending to these tricks. Take note, because we explain how to clean a whiteboard to leave it clean and shiny like the first day and, in case it no longer has salvation, we reveal how to make a whiteboard at home. Take note!
Clean your whiteboard after each use
Before explaining some good remedies on how to clean a whiteboard, we want to remind you that, although it is often not specified in the product maintenance instructions, it is essential to clean your whiteboard well after each use.
This small gesture will allow you to enjoy a much cleaner whiteboard for longer and help you avoid the ghost effect of whiteboards. The ghost effect is the change in brightness that sometimes occurs in the blackboards just below the written areas, leaving even what I had written previously.
But if it’s too late and you want to do a deep cleaning of your blackboard, don’t worry. Here’s how to get rid of dirt, permanents and the ghost effect.
Vinegar and water
No matter what the measurements of your blackboard are, this trick will also help you to eliminate marker marks and the ghost effect of your whiteboard.
If you want to know how to clean a whiteboard, you should know that this is one of the easiest and most effective homemade tricks that exist, since you will only need vinegar and water in equal parts. From a info-grinik we recommend adding both ingredients in a container with spray to be able to spray your whiteboard with the mixture, however, you can also integrate the ingredients in a larger container and use a brush or a handkerchief to clean your whiteboard well. Rub with a dry cloth until the marks disappear completely.
Use window cleaners
In addition to having your slate eraser handy, get some clean and soft cloths, water, a window cleaner and clean towels.
- Clean the board after each use with the eraser to prevent the marker from drying out and costing more to remove. Sweep the board from corner to corner and gently, without applying much force.
- Apply a good stream of window cleaner on the blackboard and rub it gently with a soft and clean cloth. You will see that with this product the dirt disappears quickly, leaving the surface brighter.
- Now, soak another cloth with water and pass it over the blackboard to finish off the remains that are still on the blackboard.
- Finally, use a towel to dry the surface and end this cleaning routine.
If you don’t have window cleaners, you can also use hand sanitizer. In any case, we recommend not using other stronger cleaning products, as they could damage the surface of the slate.
Marker for dry erase
One of the most common mistakes when drawing or writing on a whiteboard is to use a permanent marker instead of a normal one. Has it ever happened to you? If the answer is yes, you should know that this frequent accident does not have to damage your board if you act quickly and effectively.
Regardless of the whiteboard paint you have used, you will need an eraser and a dry erase marker:
- Use the dry erase marker to draw on the stains made with the permanent marker.
- Review well with the marker for dry erase all the scribbles you have made with the permanent marker, as if crossing out what you have written.
- Leave on for a few minutes until it has dried completely.
- Once dry, rub the blackboard with its eraser to remove the remains of both markers.
- If the stains do not disappear completely, repeat the process using the dry marker until they finally disappear.
You may find it ironic to use more ink to remove a marker, however, with this trick you will be able to soften the permanent marker and take it off completely from the blackboard.
Lacquer or deodorant
Did you know that lacquer or spray deodorant can be very useful when cleaning a whiteboard? These aerosols will allow you to remove the marks from the marker quickly and effectively, so if it is a product that you have on hand, do not hesitate to use it to leave your whiteboard as new.
- Apply the lacquer or deodorant with spray to the board and let the product fix for a couple of minutes.
- Then, clean the surface of the blackboard with kitchen paper or cotton to peel off the dirt and you will see how the product drags the stains.
- To prevent the slate from sticky, then clean the surface with soap and water.
Enamel remover with acetone
What is the best liquid to clean a whiteboard? Acetone nail polish removers are an ideal option, because, in fact, due to the substances contained in this product and its disinfectant effect, it is often also used for cleaning the home.
Using it is very easy, because you will only have to soak a sponge or a towel with acetone and rub the surface of the slate gently. Repeat the process as many times as necessary to eliminate all the stains and, after a few passes, you will see how acetone removes the traces of marker and ghost marks from your whiteboard.
Another wonderful trick if you have used the label that did not touch and now you want to know how to clean a whiteboard of permanent marker is toothpaste. Did you know that the soft abrasive components of toothpaste are ideal for some cleaning tasks? We show you!
Apply the cream on the marker stains of the whiteboard with the help of a handkerchief or a swab, whichever is easier for you. Then wipe a damp cloth over the surface to drag the stains; you don’t have to rub very hard, just be patient and repeat the process if you think it necessary.
The best liquid to clean a whiteboard is possibly the mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water, a very effective home remedy if you wonder how to clean a whiteboard. On the one hand, isopropyl alcohol and water will manage to get rid of the traces of markers on the surface, but, in addition, they will eliminate the ghost marks that are created on the blackboards over time.
Make an equal parts mixture with both ingredients, and then use a dry tissue to drag all the paint. Then, wipe another dry cloth and wait until there are no wet remains on the surface before using it again.
Baking soda and water
Surely you already know the incredible benefits of baking soda for cleaning, one of the star products that cannot be missing in your home. Well, if you have this antacid on hand and you want to remove the difficult marks of your whiteboard, even the permanent ones, take note:
- Add a tablespoon and a half of baking soda in a bowl.
- Pour a small amount of water, just enough to be able to make a solid paste.
- Mix both ingredients well until you create a paste.
- With the help of a cotton ball or a handkerchief, run the mixture over the whiteboard and rub lightly until all marking marks are removed.
- Finally, clean the board with water and neutral soap and dry it well before using it again.
Although some markers resist peroxide, better known as oxygenated water, this remedy can help you leave your blackboard as new with a little patience. You only have to pour a stream of this product on the marker marks and, with a dry handkerchief, rub until the surface is very white.
If it doesn’t come out the first time, from a info-grinik we advise you to dry the blackboard well and repeat the process with peroxide. Finally, dry the surface with a dry towel and, if necessary, rub a little to finish getting rid of the marks.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to clean a whiteboard, we recommend that you enter our Home Cleaning category.