How to calculate square meters
If you need to take measurements of a room or a specific surface, you may not even know where to start. It is very normal, since people who have never had to do calculations of this type do not usually know well the most effective tricks to get the square meters of a given space.
Although it may seem complicated, there are very simple methods that will help you find the size you are looking for, so to make your task easier, from info-grinik we explain how to calculate square meters of a house or a room in the simplest possible way. Take note!
How to calculate square meters of a room
Knowing the square meters of a room or an area will be useful to carry out your reform plans, since both to change the furniture and to paint a room it is essential to know these measurements. However, depending on the surface you want to know or modify, you will have to use one calculation method or another.
In terms of housing, it is necessary to differentiate between useful meters and built meters : the former refer to those that we step on while we are at home, those that are inside the house and in which we can add furniture, while the latter encompass it everything, partitions, stairs, walls, etc.
To properly measure a room you will have to learn how to calculate square meters of a wall, since these are essential to find the final result. Follow these steps:
- First, you need to measure both the length and the width of one of the walls in the room.
- Once you have both measurements, multiply them between them. The result of this operation will be the square meters of that wall.
- Repeat this same operation with the other walls of the room.
- When you have the square footage of all the walls, add them all together to get the total number of square feet in the room.
- It is important to subtract the doors and windows, taking into account that the square meters of the room can be used to buy furniture or paint.
- To do this, calculate the meters that both doors and windows occupy and subtract it from the total result that we have obtained by adding the measurements of the walls.
How to calculate square meters of a flat surface
It is important to differentiate between the calculation of square meters of the entire room and the calculation of a flat surface such as floors or pallets. While in a room we will calculate the measurement of the walls, in the case of a flat surface we will calculate on floors . This calculation will serve you, above all, to put tiles or a floating floor if you want to give a more modern look to your home. In this case, the calculation will be as simple as this:
- Measure the width of the surface.
- When you have it, measure the length as well.
- Multiply both figures to know the total square meters of said surface.
Unlike rooms, where we discount doors and windows, to make the calculation on flat surfaces such as floors, we do not have to discount anything.
Calculate square meters of irregular surfaces
If what you are wondering is how to calculate square meters of uneven terrain, things get a bit complicated. However, there is a basic trick that will help you get the square meters of that surface, although you will have to have a little more patience. Follow these steps:
- The first thing you will have to do is divide the area you want to calculate into smaller shapes . You can use rectangles, squares and / or triangles.
- Once the area is divided, you will have to calculate the area of each figure.
- Finally, add them all together to obtain the total square meters of the land or surface.
Other tips for calculating square meters
As we have seen, the steps to follow to calculate square meters of rooms and flat surfaces are quite simple, however, doubts and confusion may appear when taking the process to very large rooms.
So that it is not so complicated for you, from UNCOMO we detail some aspects to take into account that will help you to carry out these calculations more simply, take note:
- To calculate square meters, always have a meter or tape measure on hand. It will also be useful to have a pencil and paper to write down the results and a calculator to perform the relevant mathematical operations in each case.
- The calculation of the measurements must always be in the same unit, that is, you must multiply centimeters by centimeters or meters by meters. Remember that 1 cm equals 0.01 meters .
- In case of making a conversion from centimeters to meters, you will have to divide the result by 100. Eg: 60cm / 100 = 0.60 meters.
- In case you have calculated a measurement in feet, you will have to multiply the figure by 0.3048 to convert it into meters.
- In case the calculated unit of measure is inches, you will have to multiply the figure by 0.0254 to convert to meters.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to calculate square meters , we recommend that you enter our Training category.