Home remedies for dry lips
Dry and/or cracked lips are a very common problem that we have all had at some time. The lack of lip hydration can be caused by many different factors, from a prolonged stay in the sun to exposure to cold, lack of vitamins or tobacco and alcohol consumption.
Luckily, there are many natural remedies to treat broken and cracked lips that can become your best allies. Ready to discover some of the best remedies based on natural ingredients to show off healthy and beautiful lips? Don’t miss the following article from info-grinik and take note, these are the best home remedies for dry lips you will find!
Why the lips dry out
There are several factors by which dry lips occur, as well as lip cracking and broken lips. While it is true that most of the time dry lips are due to climatic factors, there are other causes that are worth mentioning:
- Lack of vitamins: a diet low in vitamins and nutrients can cause the lips to crack.
- Saliva: did you know that saliva itself can cause dry lips? This is because saliva contains maltase and amylase, compounds that produce dry skin.
- Climate factors: As we have already advanced, split lips are usually common among people who spend long periods under the sun (since it dehydrates the skin of the lips) or in very cold areas, since the wind cracks the lips.
- Medicines: there are drugs (especially to treat acne problems) that cause the skin to dehydrate easily, affecting mainly the lips, whose skin is more sensitive.
- Breathing through the mouth: people who have trouble breathing through the nose are forced to breathe through the mouth, something that causes the lips to crack due to the passage of air.
- Contamination: prolonged exposure to spaces with a lot of pollution favors the appearance of cracks in the lips, as the skin gets dirty and damaged.
- Tobacco and alcohol consumption: direct contact of cigarettes or other drugs with the lips causes long-term dryness and dehydration problems that are difficult to combat.
- Use of specific products: an allergic reaction to inappropriate products that come into contact with your lips can result in broken lip problems. This also happens with some toothpastes, because if your skin is very sensitive, the contact of that product with your lips may be somewhat aggressive.
You already know why the lips dry out, however, you should know that regardless of the reasons why you suffer from this problem, the following remedies for split lips will help you. Let’s go!
Aloe vera balm
Wondering how to moisturize the lips immediately? Aloe vera is one of the best solutions, without a doubt. This plant is a natural moisturizer full of healing, moisturizing, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, so it will act on your lips softening them and soothing irritation. If you don’t know how to cure broken lips with aloe vera, follow these steps:
- Cut a leaf of aloe vera, making a cut along.
- Remove the pulp from the plant using a spoon.
- Apply the juice inside the plant on the lips and spread it completely.
- Let the remedy act until your lips have absorbed most of the aloe vera.
It is well known that cucumber is one of the best home remedies to combat dark circles and eye swelling, but… did you know that this remedy is also great for curing cracked lips? The antioxidant properties of cucumber, as well as its high content of vitamin C, make it an ideal ingredient to soothe pain, soften and moisturize the skin.
If you’re in a hurry, you can always cut some thin slices of cucumber and put them directly on your lips for about 10-15 minutes. However, if you have time, from we recommend making a cucumber-based mask so that your lips look softer and brighter instantly.
- Cut 5 or 6 slices of cucumber and put them in a bowl.
- Add to the bowl half a teaspoon of olive oil and half a teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Beat the 3 ingredients well together.
- Apply the result to your lips and, after a few minutes, rinse with plenty of water.
Vaseline for the lips
If you don’t know how to remove the dry from your lips quickly, you should always have the famous petroleum jelly on hand. This product is a protector against external climatic agents such as the sun, cold or wind, so it acts as a great ally against dry lip, helping to recover its moisture.
Coconut oil contains ideal moisturizing and antioxidant properties to soften the lips and soothe the burning that produces irritation. If you want the cuts to disappear from your lips immediately and that they do not suffer from tightness and swelling, we recommend making your own cream for dry and cracked lips.
- Pour into a bowl 3 tablespoons of solid coconut oil.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 4 drops of the essential oil of your choice to soften the smell.
- Put the story in the microwave for about a minute until the ingredients melt.
- Mix well, always carefully not to burn. If you wish, you can add half a tablespoon of honey to your mixture, since this remedy is also very beneficial to repair damaged and dehydrated skin.
- When it has cooled completely, you can use your dry and cracked lip cream.
This recipe is also perfect if you want to make a lipstick for dry lips. When you have all the ingredients mixed, store the resulting pasta in small plastic containers and put them in the refrigerator. When the paste cools, you will have your exfoliating lipstick ready.
Honey to soften the lips
If you don’t have time to make a lip scrub and want a quick and effective remedy that calms your pain and burning instantly, honey may be your best option. This ingredient has ideal antibacterial, moisturizing and antiseptic properties, so if you wonder how to remove the dry from the lips, take note:
- Spread some honey on your lips. A couple of drops will be enough.
- Let the honey act for approximately 15 minutes.
- Then rinse carefully with water and dry with a soft towel giving small touches.
- Use this remedy every day for better results.
Sugar lip scrub
Sugar is a powerful natural exfoliant that eliminates dead cells and helps the skin of the lips recover its shape and softness. We explain how to exfoliate the lips with a natural treatment:
- Pour into a bowl a tablespoon of sugar and a teaspoon of honey.
- Mix both ingredients well until they form a uniform paste.
- With one finger, apply the resulting paste on the lips and make gentle circular movements.
- After a minute, remove the mixture with plenty of warm water and apply some moisturizing lip balm.
Lip exfoliation is essential when it comes to softening this area of the body, since we must remove dead skin from the lips so that they can absorb the hydration of the balm well and soften cracks instantly.
Coffee to exfoliate the lips
Another of the most popular lip scrubs is coffee, so if you want to know how to moisturize your lips with ingredients that everyone has at home, follow these steps:
- Mix half a tablespoon of coffee and a small teaspoon of olive oil.
- While coffee acts as an ideal lip scrub, olive oil has regenerative and soothing properties perfect to soften your lips instantly.
- Once the ingredients are well mixed, apply the paste on the lips making circular movements.
- Let stand for 5 minutes and rinse with plenty of warm water.
Don’t forget to apply a moisturizer for lips after exfoliation.
You already know how to make your exfoliating lipstick and how to remove dry lips with several homemade ingredients, however, it is worth mentioning one of the most beneficial remedies that exist for the lips: shea butter.
Shea butter is a type of butter rich in vitamin A, D and E capable of healing cracked lips and acting as a natural moisturizer instantly.
St. John’s wort oil
This oil has fabulous repairing properties to treat lips very damaged by dryness. In addition, this product contains hypericin, a substance that stimulates the cell regeneration of the skin and that will help you show off softer lips in less time.
From a info-grinik we advise you to apply St. John’s wort oil directly to the affected skin and leave it on for several minutes before removing with water. In addition, if your lips are very cut and sore, we advise you to use this oil a couple of times a day.
Almond oil contains ideal antioxidant qualities for the care of our skin, since it not only helps eliminate dead cells but also acts as a great natural moisturizer.
- First, run a cotton ball with warm water over your lips to remove the most superficial dirt.
- Then, impregnate another cotton ball in the oil and spread it throughout the area. Apply it as many times as necessary to notice its effects.
- If you want to create a more powerful mixture, we recommend mixing two large tablespoons of almond oil with a teaspoon of coconut oil and half a teaspoon of honey.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for dry lips, we recommend that you enter our Beauty and Personal Care category.