Can celery be frozen?
It is very important to know how to preserve the food so you don’t have to throw it away because it rots or ends up in bad condition. Some fresh products are especially difficult to keep in good condition, such as celery.
Some vegetables, such as celery, are complicated to freeze without spoiling because they contain a large amount of water. Also, if you put it in the freezer, when you want to use it again in a recipe it has probably lost the natural flavor. All this leads us to ask the big question: can celery be frozen? is it possible to store it in the freezer? To solve all these doubts and discover how to freeze it correctly, in a info-grinik we recommend that you continue reading this article.
Can the celery be frozen or does it spoil?
Despite having several drawbacks due to the possible loss of texture and flavor, the celery can be frozen to try to keep it in optimal consumption condition for a long period of time.
Taking into account the multiple benefits and properties of celery (it contributes to combat constipation, is digestive, strengthens the immune system and is diuretic), it is advisable to freeze it so that it remains in good condition if it is going to take a while to consume it. The most important factor is knowing how to do it, whether you want to freeze it cut or if you prefer to freeze the juice.
How to freeze fresh celery
To find out how to preserve celery, it is important to know that it is not the same to freeze it fresh as in juice. To keep it raw and fresh correctly, follow these steps to freeze fresh celery:
- Clean the celery with water and then peel it with a knife. Try to take a sharp one, since you must remove at least half a centimeter from the skin to make it easier to store it in the freezer.
- Keeping the cut celery is the best option for it to freeze correctly. Therefore, cut it into small or large slices. That is, depending on how you want to use it when you are going to use it in a recipe you will be interested in cutting it one size or another.
- Place the celery slices in a sturdy container. If you are going to freeze a large amount, divide it into different containers. Use stainless steel containers, glass or bags with zipper closure.
- Label the containers with the date you are going to freeze it and you can store them in the freezer.
Keep these tips in mind to make sure you freeze fresh celery well:
- Avoid freezing celery leaves with the stem itself because the stems will become soft very easily and the leaves will end up rotting.
- Cut the leaves and freeze them separately if you want to use them to make salads or infusions.
How to freeze celery juice
If you want to freeze celery juice, follow these steps to preserve it correctly:
- Wash the celery and cut it into small pieces.
- Put some water in the blender or in the blender glass.
- Add the celery pieces and liquidate them or beat them until you get the juice.
- To freeze the juice the most practical way is to use a bucket, like those you normally use to make ice. This way, you can get the amount of frozen celery juice you need each time.
Celery juice can be used in the preparation of different recipes: to take it directly, in broths, stews, soups and sauces, in addition to serving as an aromatizer in other preparations. Without going any further, you can prepare an exquisite celery cream and you can add a little of this juice to increase its flavor and improve its texture.
How long does frozen celery last in the freezer?
After discovering that celery can be frozen and how to do it, both fresh and in its juice, to preserve it correctly, you should know how long it remains in good condition in the freezer. In any case, you should always label the containers in which you store it to ensure that no more days pass than recommended and, in this way, keep a good control.
The different duration times of frozen celery are the following:
- Raw frozen: last for a maximum of 6 months.
- Frozen cooked: the time is halved, that is, 3 months.
- In the refrigerator, hold up to 20 days. This time is extended in the case of cut stems if you store them separately.
All these freezing times also depend on the state in which you froze the celery. Don’t expect it to retain the same texture and flavor after thawing; it will have lost much of its crunchy texture. This conditions the use: you can use it in cooked dishes instead of using it just as you would with fresh celery.
If you want to read more articles similar to Can you freeze celery?, we recommend that you enter our Food and drink category.